Sunday, February 20, 2011

Control

Why is it that some people reach for control of others, not just their own lives? Whether it be a signifigant other, family, or friends, they are determined to control any little part of someones life. This need for power can become hurtful and going way past "protecting" the other. They might yell or guilt the other into doing what THEY want and what THEY think is best. But really...all they do is push that person away.
I've dealt with multiple people such as this. Ones who were determined that I be the lesser person within our determined relationship. I've pushed friends away and held others close...but only if that one single person approved of them. I've cancelled plans and hurt friends because I didn't want them getting mad.
But yet, all it does, is hurt myself. I've tried to seperate myself from such people. Especially the people that admit they are doing something wrong. Because when they admit it and don't do anything about it, then all that is keeping them going is that power. It's not the fact of they want to be my friend, or be with me, but that they want to control me. They want me to bow down the the fact that they can have me do anything they want.
The question is though....what do you do when you can't get out? What do you do when this person threatens their own life if you leave...and you know they'll do it. Is it right to leave the person, although they attempt to control, is fighting for control of themselves as well. Is it humane to drop someone who is so desperately clinging to you to save them. Who manipulates you to do their bidding, all the while attempting to gather their own strength?
Whhen is that line crossed? Perhaps, it's when you finally reached your maximum point. Perhaps it when they lay a hand on you other than for compassion. Maybe its at the beginning. Before they are able to wrap you around their finger.
But is it safe?
Is it safe to leave these people behind when it's clear they can't be trusted alone?
Ponder me this.
Is it safe to be alone with someone who can't be trusted by themselves?

No comments:

Post a Comment